Friday, May 19, 2017

Progess, etc.

I missed Monday's Design Wall Monday post...

Here's what's been on my design wall recently. I was asked to make a T-shirt quilt for the local Harley-Davidson shop for a raffle. Here are the shirts I'm using and their locations in the quilt.


There is sashing, but I didn't have room to lay that out because the shirts had to be cut at 16". Yikes! 

The quilt is done and you can see in the picture below that I added an orange flange binding.   


I am pleased with the quilt, and so is the shop. I didn't have a good place to take a picture and I already gave them the quilt. They have it hanging up in the shop so I'm going to stop in later today and get a picture. I'll post it here soon.

Judy L is no longer hosting the Design Wall Monday link up, but Judy over at Small Quilts and Doll Quilts has graciously taken it over for us. Yay!

I'm linking up there today. (Yes, I know it's Friday and I'm just now posting about Design Wall Monday!)

I'd be doing the same over at Beth's Monday Making but the linking time expired. Go on over there anyway to check out some awesome quilt eye candy!

1 comment:

Suze said...

I want you to know you are an encouragement. My daughter has asked me to make very, very few items for her over the course of her lifetime. She HAS asked me to make her a t-shirt quilt for her from t-shirt from her college sorority. She thought she had given all of them away. However, her mother had grabbed two boxes of them somehow. She is not sentimental and was elated on a trip home - which is rare and found them in the closet. So, after much discussion, she finally came me permission to cut them. She can't decide what sashing she wants. I thought she would want blue/blue since those are her sorority colors and she thinks she wants gray/gray. So nothing has been done on the quilt. I wanted to add some pizzazz to the quilt and maybe make some stars at the corners of the sashings and she wants it plain, plain, plain.

Her brother has never seen her younger son who is six and she is the only one in her family who has seen his daughter. My son, his two children and I are going to Albuquerque to visit her family for a week at the end of this month. So, I hope (since it's my car) to find a place to put the t-shirts and the fabric I have for the sashings into the car. I hope she and I can find sometime to pick t-shirts to get idea of size for the quilt and sashing fabric, if any.

I'm doing well now and don't want to be morbid. I do have an invisible disability, so I do want to get the quilt done. I'd hate for her not to have the quilt since it's one of the few things she's requested. I see what you accomplish and am thrilled for you.

I love the blog you did on leaders/enders and having the prep work done. I had tried to do the leader/ender technique once and it was a disaster. I was using a stack of post-it notes as my 1/4" seam gauge on my project #1. Without having done any planning, I was working on Bonnie Hunter's Cheddar Cheese Bowties. That has you sewing diagonally - that doesn't work with the post-it notes. I had purchased a Singer Featherweight and wasn't confident about a 1/4" seam allowance yet. Yes, I am a perfectionist.

Seeing you put the flange on the quilt, gave me yet another idea for the t-shirt quilt.

I also love your pictures of the umbrellas. I wish I could do that, too. Just seeing your accomplishments, let's me rejoice for you and brings me joy. I'm hoping to get my sewing room and my bedroom reunited, so that we can Jessica (granddaughter - 3) out of the room with her Dada. Then this coming week EJ - 11 will be coming for the summer. Then he'll have his own room. That way everyone will have a room. If I get things back in order, I think it will also encourage me to sew a few minutes here, too.

Blessings to you.
Susan